Lower back pain in English-speaking sources say the pain in the lower back (low back pain). Pain often promotes voltage in the lumbar spine, limitation of motion, and antalgic scoliosis. Acute back pain can last from a few days up to several weeks.
Causes, incidence, and risk factors for occurrence of back pain
Lower back pain comes almost every person, at least once in his life. It should be noted, that the pain can be in any part Of the back, but, but, the pain in the lumbar spine occurs most often. This is due to the fact that the lumbar vertebrae represents the maximum load from the weight Of the body.
Lower back pain is worth it in second place by the number of visits to the doctor, immediately after viral infections.
You can feel the back pain after lifting weight, sharp motion, after finding it for a long time in the same position, or after injury of the spine.
Acute pain in the lumbar spine is most frequently caused by displacement of intervertebral disk and spinal injury.
Causes of back pain:
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine
- Intervertebral hernia and protrusion of intervertebral disc
- Compressive fracture due to osteoporosis, multiple myeloma, hemangioma vertebra
- The volume of the lumen of the spinal channel
- Fracture of the spine after injury
- Prolonged muscle tension
- Anatomically narrow spinal canal
- Curvature of the spine (scoliosis, kyphosis, kyphoscoliosis, disease Chairman Mau)
- The aneurysm of the aorta
- Rheumatic arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis
- Infections of the spine - osteomyelitis, discitis, tuberculosis of the spine
- Pyelonephritis, urolithiasis
- Complicated pregnancy
- Gynecological diseases (endometriosis, ovarian cyst, ovarian cancer, etc.)
The symptoms of low back pain (pain in the lower back)
The pain can be varied: acute, stupid, pulling , burning, may be accompanied by tingling and tingling, with numbness.
The intensity of back pain can vary greatly from mild to excruciating pain, hurts to make even a small move. The pain can be combined with pain in the hip, pain in knee, pain in the leg.
The diagnosis of back pain
First You need to consult a doctor-neurologist. The doctor will ask You questions about the nature of Your pain, frequency, repeatability. The doctor will try to determine the cause of the pain and to begin treatment with simple methods (ice, mild painkillers, physical therapy and the necessary exercises).
In most cases, the treatments lead to a reduction of back pain. During the inspection, your doctor will determine the exact location of pain, radiation, neurological reflexes. Most people with pain in the lumbar spine recover within 4-6 weeks.
Diagnosis includes magnetic resonance imaging (bnl). MRI) of the lumbar spine, ct of the region of the sacral part of the spine and x-rays of the spine.
Because the most common cause of back pain is Intervertebral hernia, the area of the sanctuary of the section of the spine, the first thing you should do MRI of the lumbar spine. This research will also help to exclude most of the reasons of pain, such as the volume of the lumen of the spinal channel, tuberculosis of the spine, spinal fracture, myeloma disease, anatomically narrow spinal canal, spondylolisthesis, different shape of curvature of the spine, cervical spondylosis, and spondylolisthesis. If The neurologist is not appointed Your MRI, then do it yourself. The strength of the mri should be 1 Tesla and more.
I will have to start diagnosis with the x-ray unit and computed tomography, these techniques are not safe. Can be done in the first stage only the suspicion of a fracture of the spine.
Here are a few tips on what to do with the pain in the back:
- Reduce physical activity during the first two days after the start of the attack. This will help to reduce the symptoms of the disease and the swelling in the area of pain.
- Do not sit with the tilt forward until the pain has passed.
- Take painkillers only in case of unbearable pain. Better to intramuscular injection of a drink anesthetic the drug. This will protect the wall Of the stomach from direct contact with the anti-inflammatory treatment. Try to avoid excessive administration of drugs. Do not use for the treatment of hormonal treatments, if the pain in the back is not associated with an autoimmune disease.
- You sleep in the fetal position clutching, put a pillow between the legs. If you usually sleep on your back, put a pillow under the knees
- Common misconception is an idea of what you Will need to limit physical activity for a long period of time. Bed rest is not recommended!!! If you Have not increase the temperature, weight loss, involuntary urination and defecation, then it should remain active for as long as it can withstand. You can reduce the activity only during the first two days after the appearance of pain. Start to easily make your aerobic exercise. Walking with the machine, swimming will help to improve the circulation of blood to the muscles of Your back. Consult your doctor for the selection of exercises, so as not to cause the strengthening of the pain.
Most people feel much better after the first week of treatment. In the 4-6 weeks a large part of patients, the pain disappears completely.
In which cases you should immediately consult your doctor:
- Lower back pain in combination with leg pain and pain in the leg
- The pain does not allow You yourself serve
- The pain is combined with urinary and faecal incontinence
- The combination of pain in the lower back with numbness in the buttock, hip, leg, foot, groin
- If you already Have it was a pain in the back before
- If the pain lasts more than 3 days
- If you are taking hormones
- If the back pain arose from an injury
- He had previously been diagnosed with cancer
- If you Have lost weight recently with unexplained reasons