Medical inpatient therapy is not the only way to treat arthrosis. The disease has a chronic course and is difficult to eliminate. In advanced forms of the pathology, irreversible changes occur, and to maintain the condition, a therapeutic regimen is prescribed, which a person follows at home. Treatment of arthrosis of the knee joint at home, in addition to traditional medicine, includes various folk recipes that increase the effectiveness of drugs, restore blood circulation and improve well-being.
Contraindications and recommendations
Before starting any therapy, the patient should familiarize himself with the contraindications of the treatment regimen. Correct assessment of the condition and full knowledge of contraindications will help to protect against complications of the disease and make the therapy as effective as possible.
Main contraindications of traditional medicine:
- oncological diseases;
- cardiovascular system diseases;
- bronchitis with an asthmatic component;
- Allergic reactions to medicinal plants or food used in a specific recipe;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- chronic infectious diseases;
- the period of exacerbation of systemic diseases;
- Congenital anomalies or diseases of the gastrointestinal tract;
- Hepatitis with ascites.
Other contraindications include pathologies of the endocrine system in the form of goiter (autoimmune or toxic in origin).
Before starting the course of treatment, it is recommended to consult a doctor, since it is difficult or even impossible to cure arthrosis of the knee joint at home with folk recipes alone. At the consultation, the doctor explains what arthrosis of the knee joint is and how to treat it at home with medicines, the patient's task is to find out suitable folk recipes. It is better to immediately select some of the most suitable drugs and ask about the possibility of their use and the expected effect.
At home, it is recommended to cure the disease:
- After accurate diagnosis. To determine the origin of the disease and its stage, you must first undergo a series of tests;
- with an integrated approach to therapy. Folk recipes only supplement drug treatment. The whole stage of therapy should be carried out under the supervision of a doctor and with regular clinical examinations;
- External and oral means can be used only if there is no allergy to the components of the drug.
It is possible to eliminate pain and heal the knee in close cooperation with a specialist. Adding folk remedies to the treatment regimen increases the speed of recovery and the effectiveness of the main treatment.
It should not be based only on traditional medicine, since arthrosis of the knee joint should be treated complexly at home. The basis of any therapeutic course is to change the diet.
With inferiority, there are 3 main violations:
- Metabolic disease. One of the main reasons for the development of arthrosis is the lack of cartilage tissue nutrients;
- Lack of trace elements. The knee joint needs building materials for tissue regeneration, even with a good metabolism, in the presence of microelements deficiency, rapid wear occurs;
- Obesity. Eating fatty and junk food not only damages the metabolism, the health of internal organs, but also provokes an increase in the body mass index. Heavy weight causes increased stress on the legs, especially the knee and hip joints. The risk of developing arthrosis is many times higher in overweight people.
A balanced diet is the key to patient recovery and symptom reduction. With a properly prepared diet, all body systems are restored, and body weight can be adjusted. Diet is the first step in any therapy.
Before treating gonarthrosis of the knee joint at home, it is important to enrich the diet with essential mineral and vitamin substances:
- Vitamin D is produced in the body when sunlight hits the skin and is also found in cod liver, dairy products;
- B vitamins are found in eggs, fish, nuts, green vegetables, seafood;
- Calcium is more often found in the body from milk and milk products, as well as from sesame, parmesan, basil;
- Vegetable fiber: All kinds of vegetables, herbs and fruits.
The basis of nutrition should be complex carbohydrates, they should make up to 80% of calories from the diet. Foods prepared on the basis of tendons of animal origin have a positive effect on the condition of the joints: natural jelly, aspic, extracts of bull joints, jelly, etc. Sh.
The diet should be more:
- various dairy products;
- fresh vegetables with greens, but less cabbage, tomatoes, bell peppers should be eaten;
- pasta and bread (it is better to choose whole grains);
- various cereals, except oatmeal;
- all kinds of nuts;
- lean varieties of fish, meat;
Nutritionists advise us to give up fatty, salty, sour and fried foods, as well as coffee and alcohol consumption. It is worth limiting, but not completely excluding, the use of various oils, muffins, sweets and soda. When cooking, it is better to give preference to boiling, baking and steaming.
Before treating arthrosis of the knee joint at home with nutritional correction, it is better to cleanse the body of harmful food residues. Eating vegetables, fruits, rice, along with decoctions of juniper, birch or nettle leaves will help remove toxins and improve digestive function.
How to fix the knee in arthrosis?
Symptoms of arthrosis of the knee joint and home treatment are monitored by the doctor, he also recommends limiting the mobility of the affected limb. When the load is distributed on the affected knee, the severity of the symptoms is reduced and the progression of the disease is slowed down. With the help of a special bandage, the knee is fixed in a position that limits its motor capabilities and reduces the load on the joint. The knee brace helps distribute the load evenly over the entire limb.
It is recommended to treat gonarthrosis with a bandage at 1-2 degrees of pathology development. At home, the device can be replaced with an elastic bandage, it helps stop the pain. To restore blood circulation in the knee, the bandage should be removed periodically (after 1-2 hours).
Basic rules for wearing a bandage:
- The bandage is applied tightly, but sparingly. Strong compression of surrounding tissues often leads to exacerbation of the disease;
- Before applying the bandage, the leg is straightened;
- Burdock leaves or a honey compress will help strengthen the effect of the bandage, they are placed under the material;
- If pain or discomfort is observed, it is recommended to consult a doctor.
The technique is also prescribed in the relapse stage of the disease, but then it is better to give preference to special knee pads. With their help, it is possible to stabilize the condition, as well as prolong the period of remission.
How to treat knee osteoarthritis at home?
The main condition of therapy is that the disease must be cured safely, any risky procedure is contraindicated. To determine the risk, the patient should always refer to the attending orthopedist or rheumatologist. During communication with the doctor, it is often possible to develop more effective methods of treatment.
It is important to remember that some therapeutic methods are not used at home, because they can provoke dangerous side effects: increased inflammation, allergies and disruption of various internal systems.
Exercise for arthrosis
Joint diseases almost always require special joint care. Recovery is possible with sufficient physical activity, but physical inactivity or hard work can harm the patient. Gymnastics procedures accelerate blood circulation in the limbs, reducing the severity of symptoms.
One of the best ways to treat knee arthrosis of the 2nd degree at home is gymnastics. The complex includes:
- Immediately after a night's sleep, exercise "bicycle" is performed. Movement should last 15 minutes with breaks.
- Lie on your back, pull the leg, bent at the knee, then straighten. It is recommended to do 20 repetitions on each limb.
- They sit on a chair and straighten their legs, pointing their fingers towards themselves. In the process of movements, it is important to concentrate as much as possible on well-being. If excessive tension is felt, the amplitude may decrease.
- Regular squat. For the approach, it is better to perform 30 repetitions.
- Frequent walking, at least 20-30 minutes a day.
With this method, it is possible not only to treat, but also to prevent the aggravation of the stage of the disease, to improve the condition of the articular joint.
cold and warm
You can use cold and warm compresses:
- Cold therapy is used only in the initial stage of the disease. It helps eliminate pain, reduces swelling and also has an anti-inflammatory effect. You should prepare the ice in advance and think about a convenient body position so that you don't do it while preparing the compress. It is important to sit still for 30 minutes with your legs slightly elevated. They put an ice pack on the knee, fix it with a bandage or a bandage and wait in this position for half an hour;
- Warm compresses can be used only if there is no swelling on the knee. We can use heated sand, salt, etc. as a heater. Sh. After applying the compress, there should be no burning sensation if the baking cools down to a warm state. The method helps to eliminate pain.
Medicinal infusions and decoctions
One of the most effective ways to relieve pain in knee arthrosis at home is decoction, tincture for internal use and external use. They are designed to slow down arthritic disorders and improve well-being. Recipes are based on various medicinal plants and extracts. With their help, the metabolism in the joint tissues is restored, the pain sensations decrease, and the removal of harmful substances from the synovial fluid is accelerated.
Compositions for oral administration
Treatment of arthrosis of the 2nd degree of the knee joint at home can also be carried out with the help of oral infusions, but their use is prohibited:
- People with a tendency to alcohol addiction;
- patients with liver and kidney failure;
- Disruption of the function of the gastrointestinal tract and other disorders of internal organs.
The first and second stages of the disease often involve the use of oral medications:
- Decoction on bay leaves. The plant eliminates knee swelling and helps to cleanse the body. Cleaning procedures will require 10 g of dry bay leaves and a glass of boiling water. The mixture is put on fire, brought to a boil and boiled for 15 minutes. Then the broth is poured into a thermos and left to ferment overnight. The prepared mixture is taken for 3 days, 200 ml with small sips throughout the day. It is important to observe the dose, no more than 200 ml per day, and also follow a diet based on: vegetables, fruits, herbs;
- Tincture on lilac flowers. 100 g purple color is useful for cooking. Flowers are poured with vodka (you can use distilled water). The infusion process lasts 1-2 weeks, then the composition is filtered and stored in a dark room. take 30-40 drops before meals for breakfast and dinner;
- Herbal tincture. It will take 2 s. K. L. Parsley seeds, dandelion rhizomes (crushed), pepper, dill. The listed herb has positive reviews due to its effective pain-relieving effect. Mix all the ingredients and pour 0. 5 liters of boiling water. The mixture is allowed to cool before using the composition. Take 2 tbsp. K. L. daily in the morning before meals;
- Tincture on beetroot, cranberry and radish (black variety). The listed ingredients are emptied, put in a meat grinder. 0. 5 l of brandy is poured into the obtained composition, then everything is mixed. In a dark, cool place, the mixture is boiled for 10 days, this is necessary to obtain medicinal properties. After melting, the mixture is filtered and left in the refrigerator. Take 1 tbsp. K. L. In the morning, 10 minutes before meals.
Infusions for external use
Popular recipes for ointments for external use:
- on birch buds. For preparation, use 100 g of the main ingredient and 500 ml of vodka (diluted alcohol is suitable). In order for the liquid to absorb all the useful substances, you should leave it for 1 month in a dark place. The prepared composition will be rubbed into the knees daily;
- On dandelion flowers. The flowers of the plant are put to sleep in a glass vessel (preferably stained glass) and vodka is poured over them. The infusion process lasts 30 days. A suitable place should be at room temperature and protected from sunlight. After straining dandelions, rub your knees with the composition daily in the evening. A woolen scarf is fixed on the product.
Compresses for the treatment of arthrosis and methods of their use
When comparing the effectiveness of applications and ointments, the first shows the best results. It is better to give preference to proven recipes during treatment.
- We cut the cabbage and put it in a juicer.
- The juice of the plant is used to soak a warm handkerchief, which is then applied to the painful area.
- Use the compress 1 time a day before going to bed.
There is another recipe for making a compress from cabbage that does not require cutting the leaves. Its preparation:
- Whole cabbage leaves are separated, which are then mixed with vinegar and honey (3 to 1).
- Leaves are sprinkled with a mixture of vinegar and honey, only the side that will be in contact with the knee is processed.
- Apply the sheets on your feet.
- The mixture is covered with a plastic film or a woolen scarf.
Both compresses improve well-being and relieve discomfort. Duration of therapy is 1 month.
compress with honey and bile
Preparation of the compress takes place in several stages:
- Glycerin, honey, medicinal bile, 5% iodine solution and 10% ammonia are mixed.
- The composition is stored in a dark cool place for 10 days.
- Before use, the composition is slightly warmed and applied to the fabric.
- A bandage with medicine is attached to the leg with a plastic wrap, and a warm scarf or scarf is placed on top.
To increase the healing properties, the procedure is done at night, and the compress is left until the morning. Patients note the complete elimination of pain, sometimes the effectiveness is not inferior to injections.
to compress with a horse
- Rabbit roots are washed on a medium grater.
- The substance evaporates in heated (but not boiling) water.
- The substance is applied to the fabric and attached to the knee.
- Stop the medication until the pain subsides completely.
The compress will have a positive effect when collecting new plant leaves in an environmentally clean place, it is better to choose a plant away from the road and other sources of pollution.
How to prepare:
- They arrange the sheets and place a hot pan on top.
- They wait for the leaves to release steam to start releasing beneficial substances, then apply it to the affected area.
- Put a layer of plastic and warm material on top.
It is recommended to treat the leaves with vegetable oil, preferably with corn or olive oil, before applying it to the skin.
compress with dimethyl sulfoxide
It is a drug with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic effect, which is often used to make arthrosis compresses. For treatment, a 50% solution is used, that is, the initial composition of dimethyl sulfoxide is diluted with water from 1 to 4. The mixture is soaked with a gauze bandage and applied to the affected area. A plastic bag or film is placed on top, the napkin is tied with a cotton cloth. Duration of socks - 30 minutes. Therapeutic course - 10-14 days.
According to their properties, applications do not differ from compresses. There are many types of applications in traditional medicine. Often, boiled leaves of aloe, celandine, burdock and cabbage are used to relieve pain and eliminate inflammation. Before applying, all the leaves are thoroughly washed and slightly beaten (you can crush, cut), the purpose of the procedure is to release the juice from the leaf. Applications are placed on the affected area, wrapped with a warm cloth. Keep the sheets for about 6-8 hours.
Treatment with foil is a rather unusual method of therapy. Nutrient sheets change the energy of muscles and joints. Patients claim relief from pain and inflammation after application. Foil is wrapped around the entire limb or diseased area.
Arthritis therapy at home often includes the use of therapeutic baths. They have a beneficial effect not only on the organ with pathology, but also improve the condition of the whole body. The water is heated to body temperature - 38°C, the patient is advised to stay in the water for up to 20 minutes. Hot baths are contraindicated.
Additives are used to give healing properties:
- decoction on birch branches;
- extracts of lavender, pine needles;
- Sea salt;
- Essential oils: bergamot, lemon, pine.
The procedure is common in sanatoriums and spas, but you can store mud (it should be healing) in deposits or buy it in pharmacies, the technique is also used at home. The use of mud warms the joint and enriches cartilage tissues with useful microcomponents.
When heating with mud, the following are additionally used:
- Sea salt;
- Mustard (dry).
Medicinal ointments and rubs
Only natural ingredients are used to prepare rubs and ointments. Bear or badger fat can be used as a base, but vegetable oil is a more economical option. In order to increase the effectiveness of the ointment, it is necessary to ensure intensive blood flow in the knee by heating the limb by self-massage.
Garlic is a storehouse of useful substances, it is not surprising that there is friction with it.
How to do it:
- The head is cleaned and crushed.
- Pour the ingredient into a glass container and add 200 ml of oil.
- Put the container in a place protected from light for 1 week.
There are no restrictions on the time of use of ruble, but the effectiveness is slightly higher in the evening. It is better to use it in the evening because of the specific smell. If rubbed in the morning, a person will have a strong smell of garlic.
- Prepare 50 g of ground root mixed with 120 ml of vodka.
- Stir the resulting mixture for 2 weeks.
- Apply to the affected area and wait until the discomfort disappears.
Eggs and apple cider vinegar
Preparation and use:
- The mixture is made with egg yolk and apple cider vinegar in equal proportions.
- You can use immediately after preparation, the number of applications is 3 times in 7 days.
- It is recommended to apply it at night and leave it until the morning, wrapped with a warm cloth on top.
Production and use:
- Mix 100 g of honey with 3 g of mummy.
- After preparation, the mixture is applied to the affected joint on the skin, preferably before going to bed.
- Treatment lasts 1 week.
You can fill the prescription with internal use of Mumio, but the drug has contraindications.
Warming mustard ointment
- Mix 100 g of mustard (in powder form) with 200 g of salt of a small fraction and a small piece of melted paraffin.
- Blend the mixture until you get a paste.
- The composition is placed in a glass container and boiled for 12 hours.
It is better to use the ointment in the evening.
celandine and olive oil
- Remove the top of the plant (the root is not used), you should get 3 tbsp. K. L.
- Pour 200 ml of vegetable oil (olive or sunflower).
- Mix the composition for 2 weeks.
The course of treatment is 1 month, the composition is used daily. Rub the oil infusion with massaging movements.
Warming camphor ointment
To prepare the ointment, you need 2-3 chicken eggs, a bottle of 96% alcohol (100 g) and 50 g of camphor with mustard. Beat the eggs in a blender until the eggs are foamy and all the ingredients are well combined. Apply the mixture to the affected area at night, and cover the area with a bandage. The course continues until recovery.
In joint and muscle diseases, animal fat, especially badger, is very effective. Another healthy type of fat is pork and offal. The substance is rubbed into the affected joints for 1 month.
Non-traditional areas of medicine are often used as adjunctive therapy. They are based on the experience of Eastern healers, combined with modern scientific achievements.
The basis of antiarthrosis treatment can be used:
- ozone therapy;
- treatment with puppies;
- Pharmacopuncture with acupuncture;
- Chiu Energy Treatment;
- manual treatment.
The only drawback of the direction is the difficulty of implementing it with your own hands, since it is necessary to have relevant knowledge in each direction.
Hirudotherapy or leukotherapy
The positive effect of leeches occurs due to the special composition of saliva, which leads to the elimination of swelling, removal of inflammation and pain. Hirudin and other specific enzymes enter the patient's blood, which increase blood fluidity, stimulate blood circulation and relieve pain.
Apitherapy or treatment of knee joints with bees
Bees are of great benefit not only with their waste, but even their venom can help a person suffering from arthritis. Bee venom belongs to the group of strong allergens, it is important to test the allergic reaction before using apitherapy, otherwise the patient will face serious complications.
Courses of treatment with bees lead to irritation of certain points and small areas of tissue with a small dose of venom. The procedure helps to activate blood circulation and improve the nerve conduction of the endings. The technique is associated with pain, but it has a good effect.
The technique involves influencing bioactive points, the procedure has many different effects:
- restores metabolism;
- helps strengthen the immune system to fight pathology;
- accelerates lymph and blood flow;
- relieves spasmodic and painful events;
- improves well-being;
- Restores joint functions.
Today, acupuncture can be performed in several versions:
- Acupuncture using fine needles;
- Pharmacopuncture involves increasing the effect with the help of drugs;
- Moxotherapy involves the use of cones and cigars (usually wormwood) that are used to treat the affected area;
- Acupressure, taking into account the knowledge of energy channels through which energy circulates. Redirecting body forces to restore the knee has positive feedback.
Therapy with the help of movements is prescribed for all joint pathologies. The method of performing movements is determined individually.
With regular implementation of the procedure, it is possible to:
- learn to move correctly so as not to damage the painful joint;
- increasing muscle tone;
- develop links;
- increase stretch;
- Restoration of cartilage function.
Osteoarthritis of the knee joint is especially dangerous due to the complications and irreversibility of the processes. Only timely treatment and adequate therapy will help prevent disability or severe pain. Home treatment is the best way to prevent the development of the disease and improve the quality of life.